What is MEQP?
Magento EQP Coding Standard is a set of rules and sniffs for PHP_CodeSniffer tool.
It allows automatically check your code against some of the common Magento and PHP coding issues, like:
– raw SQL queries;
– SQL queries inside a loop;
– direct class instantiation;
– unnecessary collection loading;
– excessive code complexity;
– use of dangerous functions;
– use of PHP superglobals;
– code style issues
– and many others.
Read more about it and see the source: Github: Magento Marketplace EQP
How do I use it?
This tool can be run via CLI against any extension by giving it the path but you can also more tightly integrate it into your development workflow with the following steps:
mkdir meqp && cd meqp
git clone https://github.com/magento/marketplace-eqp.git .
Next open up PHPStorm and navigate to Preferences > Languages & Frameworks > PHP > Code Sniffer
You can set it to use the version of PHP_CodeSniffer installed with composer in the steps above. Just use “/path/to/your/docroot/meqp/vendor/bin/phpcs” as the path.
Next navigate to Preferences > Editor > Inspections > PHP > PHP Code Sniffer Validation
– Check “Show warnings as” and “Show Sniff Name”
– Choose MEQP2 from the down ( or MEQP1 for Magento 1.x code )
Originally posted as:
– Choose Coding Standard Custom
– Set your path tp the ruleset: “/path/to/your/docroot/meqp/MEQP2/ruleset.xml”
Thats it, now you can write your code according to Magento’s standards! You should see notifications right alongside your code indicating the issue and the sniff that is triggering it.
Updated for clarity and accuracy 3/25/2018.